Monday, May 9, 2011

Ahhhh....bread!


Yesterday Chuck and I went and picked up a bread machine. There was a particular one that I had stumbled upon when researching gluten-free recipes. I had read that the Breadman bread machine had a setting that was just for gluten-free bread. The absolute hardest part of going GF is missing being able to have a sandwich or a slice of bread. We stopped by HyVee and picked up some ingredients and headed home to try out the new Breadman.

I spent the next hour getting very frustrated as I tried to find the recipe that I was looking for. For the past several days much of my free time had been spent looking at GF recipes. Exchanging wheat flour for a GF substitute isn't as easy as you might think. There are so many different flours and starches that are usually combined to replace the wheat flour. Every recipe I came across listed a different type of flour. When I finally found the one I had spotted a couple days ago, I first bookmarked it for future reference, then realized I was missing an important ingredient. So...back to the HyVee!

It was late afternoon by the time I had the Breadman whirling for the first time. Just before dinner I pulled the loaf out and was pleased at what I saw. It looked like bread and smelled like bread. It was too hot to cut into for dinner so the taste test would have to wait a while.

A few hours later, I was very pleased as I sliced into the bread. The texture looked great! And tasted just as good as it looked!

Success! And better yet - Both Chuck and I enjoyed the best tasting peanut butter sandwich for lunch today!

So here's the recipe that I used:

Place ingredients in bread pan in order (wet on bottom, then dry, & yeast on top)
* 1 2/3 cups lukewarm water
* 3 eggs, room temperature (beaten slightly)
* 4 tablespoons butter, melted (I use Smartbalance blend)
* 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
** I Sift together the flours, starch, xantham gum, & salt before putting them in
* 2 cups rice flour
* 1/2 cup potato starch
* 1/2 cup tapioca flour
* 2 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 2/3 cup powdered milk
* 3 tablespoons sugar
** Create an indentation in the dry ingredients to put the yeast into (but not deep enough to touch wet ingredients)
* 1 1/2 tablespoons dry yeast, granules
Turn on the Breadman and set to Gluten-free program.
Take bread out as soon as it is done to prevent the bread from becoming soggy from the steam as the machine cools down.

No comments:

Post a Comment