Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day 6 of Pic-a-day This is Heaven in a bite!

Is this Heaven? No...it's cheesecake!
Have you ever woke up thinking about something you can't wait to eat? I'm not talking about breakfast but about a sweet treat that you know is waiting for you. This morning was one of those mornings. I woke up wanting to pull one of the mini cheesecakes I made yesterday out of the freezer and have at as soon as I could. But....I showed restraint and waited until after lunch to finally indulge in what I think is the absolute best concoction ever created.   Cheesecake!!

Cheesecake is not something we have a lot of and we haven't had any since going gluten free. The filling of cheesecake is naturally gluten-free but the traditional crust is made with graham crackers which are a no-no for me. 

Yesterday I was a bit bored and of course that usually leads to me doing some baking. Also Sara was here for the weekend and she enjoys eating my sweet treats - which is a win-win for us. The more she eats (with the fabulous metabolism of a teenager)...the less left for me and Chuck to eat (with the not so fabulous metabolism of a 40 something).

I've had a couple packages of cream cheese in the fridge and had thought about coming up with a cheesecake recipe that would be GF. So I began to wonder what I could use for the crust. I knew I could always just skip the crust all together - but I really like to have a bit of a crunch to go along with the creamy goodness of the cheesecake. I could have gone to the store and looked for some gluten-free graham crackers, but I really wasn't wanting to do that. I first spotted some GF pretzels and thought that might work, but then I remembered that I saved the left over GF chocolate sandwich cookies from the cupcakes I made for Shawn's graduation. Perfect! What's better than a graham cracker crust? A cookie crust! There wasn't a bunch of cookies left - but just enough to make a batch of mini cheesecakes.  They were so very good! I do believe there are about 3 still left in the freezer...but I'm betting they don't last rest of the day.

The recipe I came up with can be found on my Gluten-Free Cupcake Recipe Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment